This is A Network activity for the 5th grade in the subjects
of Science, Math and Geography.
By Fred Carrigan
Your team of four students will select
to visit. You will fly from Barrow, Alaska to St. Louis, Missouri,
where you will use a automobile that is provided for the trip. Your
team will have to select the park, plan the trip, record all the
expenses and report what you see. The fun part is you can use the
computer and the Internet.
Have a good net tour.
Each team of four students will:
- Select a park
- Determine the route
- Determine the cost
- Describe the park
- Describe the animals
Some information you need:
- Everyone will start from St. Louis, Missouri.
- Everyone will travel by auto, which gets 20 miles per gallon and has a 20-gallon tank.
- Everyone will travel 6 to 8 hours a day at 60 miles per hour.
- Gasoline costs $1.56 per gallon.
- Spend the night in motels at $30.00 per person.
- Breakfast - $8.00
- Lunch - $8.00
- Dinner - $15.00
The price of park admission must also
You may use the computers to gather your information and to copy and past the
information for your oral class reports.
- Rand McNally Map Maker
- Use internet sources about:
Your team must make a presentation to the class. To generate your presentation you can
use copy and paste into a folder about your own section of the presentation.
The presentation will include:
- A description of the route to and from the park.
- All the expense involved in the trip
- A detailed description with pictures of the park.
- Date dedicated
- Why selected as a national park
- A report on major animals expected to be seen in a park.
- Get a picture and a short 3 or 4 sentence description of the animals.
(You may use copy and paste.)