Introduction to Newsgroups and Newsreaders
|Newsgroups are a forum where people with
common interests can interact with one
another. This lesson explains how to find and
- To gain the initial set of skills to navigate newsgroups using a web browser or newsreader software, such as WinVnews (PC's) and Newswatcher (Mac's).
- To read any message and reply to a message
- To post an original message
- To save a message or reply to your hard drive
One of the primary ways of communicating with others via the Internet, and particularly to large groups of people with similar interests, is via netnews.
Prescreened K12 Newsgroup Services
With over 10,000 newsgroups to choose from, newsgroups exist on a great many topics, from genealogy to quilt-making. There are a number of groups, however, that are not appropriate for the K12 audience.
Using Netscape or Another Newsreader
There are numerous software packages available to make reading and gathering information from newsgroups quick and easy.
With thousands of newsgroups and discussion topics meandering widely even within a single newsgroup, finding interesting postings can be difficult. Luckily, there are search engines available that can help you in your quest for information.
These are extra exercises designed to help you consolidate some of the concepts introduced in this lesson and to expand on some other interesting areas related to this lesson
- Read message headers and distinguish an original item/article posting from a response/follow up article posting.
- Access and read any newsgroup and message.
- Access the full current listing of available newsgroups.
- Use online tutorials contained in Netscape and the WinVnews or Newswatcher newsreaders to learn more about each program.