Alaskan Native Innovations Web Tour
The following is a model "culture-specific" web tour suggesting a simple format for all cultures to share their best innovations among themselves, and with the world. This is a shortened version, for the full tour go to:
Click on each of the following links to explore informally a wide range of innovations and resources, many by Alaskan Natives! Return to your favorite sites at your convenience for more in-depth exploration. The most interesting part of many web sites is often their listings of other web sites. This is where one generally makes the greatest discoveries of new resources.
Outstanding Alaskan Native Web Sites
- Mentaska Lake Villagehttp://szmentastalake.mentastalake.agsd.schoolzone.net/index.htm
A wonderful example of an Athabascan village web page! Many very practical applications of sharing and celebrating local information!
- Alaskool Alaskan Native Curriculum
We feature some of the best
materials on Alaska Native history and culture available, and the tools
to help instructors use them in the classroom.With our Interactive
Curriculum Planner and Class Bookmarks teachers can
tailor students' Alaskool experience to suit their educational goals and
objectives, as well as national standards.
- Mt. Edgecumbe Native Boarding School, Sitka, Alaskahttp://www.mehs.educ.state.ak.us
An exceptional model for electronic student portfolios and includes a student-written tutorial on how to create such portfolios. The school is expanding their entrepreneurship emphasis.
- Larry Loucks Tutorial on Building Dog Sledshttp://www.aesd.schoolzone.net/aesd/nlg.school/sldhme.html#anchor864510
A great example of innovative teaching from the remotest of locations!!!
- Alaskan Native Knowledge Network
A major project based at the University of Alaska/Fairbanks Campus,
supported by the National Science Foundation and the Annenberg Rural
Challenge to collect and disseminate indigenous curriculum.
- Select the Wolverine Chatter student newsletter from the following Alaskan Native 7-8th grade school in Juneau, http://www.jsd.k12.ak.us/dzh/index.html Explore the Tlingit Language resources, and see the tour of the school! Devin Jones is the lead teacher behind this site. (email@example.com ) With seriously limited resources, students have learned to self-publish their own electronic newsletter and to represent their cultures in diverse multimedia formats.
- Galena Charter School and Interior Distance Learning for Alaska (IDEA)
The official web page for the Galena School District's many innovative technology projects: the Project Education Native Charter School and the IDEA homeschooling correspondence program!
- Native Alaskan Crafts
Toksook Native Alaskan Crafts marketed worldwide!
Three Alaskan Elementary School Cyberfair Winners!
- Alaska Native Art Virtual Museum
NOTE: Eskimo and Cherokee online dictionaries and a listing of
Native American language sites along with many other exciting models for teaching and
preserving Native languages: http://www.yourdictionary.com
See also: Native Language Education Network
For an expanded listing with more Alaskan K12 innovations see http://lone-eagles.com/alaskan2.htm
General Alaskan Resources
AT&T's Alaskan Web Site
General State Information
Parks and Wildlife