Multi-cultural Resources and K-12 Project Sites
Global Organizations Supporting Indigenous Connectivity
Global Development Resource Organizations
- From Australia; dozens of multi-cultural links:
See also http://lone-eagles.com/aussielinks.htm
- Native American/Alaskan/Hawaiian K12 Innovations Report and Clearinghouse
Extensive listing of Native cultural resources and curriculum.
- Spanish Language Educational Resources
Resources from the U.S., Mexico, Central, and South America
- The 4Directions Project
"Internet Strategies for Empowering Indigenous Communities in Teaching and Learning" is funded by the Technology Literacy Challenge grant program from the U.S. Dept. of Education.
One very interesting component is their work on "Developing Virtual Museums in Native American Schools" http://www.conexus.si.edu/VRTour The 4Directions multicultural curriculum for K12 at "The Explorer Trail;" http://ernie.wmht.org/trail/explor02.htm
- The Cultural Survival Quarterly
This unique journal has published a special issue on "The Internet and Indigenous Groups" which is of exceptional quality and presents many significant case studies worldwide. The significance of this particular issue is the diversity of benefits very different cultural groups have demonstrated. See www also "Reclaiming Native Education: Activism, Teaching and Leadership." Select publications, CS Quarterly, and Back Issues.
- Wireless Village Projects and other exciting project reports from the National Science Foundation Wireless Testbed project are listed at: http://wireless.oldcolo.com/ Toksook is a Canadian Arctic Eskimo village which has found an affordable solution bringing Internet to village homes using new wireless technologies. http://toksookbayalaska.com ) Dave Hughes is the leader of the Wireless Testbed and his email address is email@example.com
- Diversity University Collaboratory Listserv
From the Educational Cyber-Playground, a great place for newcomers to the Internet.
- Center for Multicultural Education
The Center for Multicultural Education at the University of Washington,
Seattle WA, focuses on research projects and activities designed to improve
practice related to equity issues, intergroup relations, and the achievement of
students of color.
- Center for Research on Education, Diversity and Excellence
The CREDE mission is to assist the nation's diverse students at risk of
educational failure to achieve academic excellence.
- Clearinghouse of Immigrant Education
A national organization sharing resources on English as a second language.
- Alaskan Cultural Curriculum
A significant collection, developed by the Alaska Native Knowledge
- Alaska Standards for Culturally Responsive Schools
Very unique standards applicable worldwide.
- National Association for Multicultural Education
A national organization offering conferences, listservs and resources on
- Teachers of English to Speakers of other languages
TESOL's mission is to develop the expertise of its members and others
involved in teaching English to speakers of other languages to help them
foster effective communication in diverse settings while respecting
individuals' language rights.
- Center for Digital Storytelling
http://www.storycenter.org/storyplace.html Must See!
And Other Digital Storytelling Sites
- Putumayo World Music Multicultural Curriculum
Putumayo publishes indigenous music from around the world.
- Cultural Resources for Educators
Unique Resource Collections for the K-12 classroom consisting of craft
objects, hundreds of images, related literature and background information.
Visit their new web tour of teachers' resources.
Cultural Survival Resources
- Cultural Survival Journal
An exceptional resource with increasing emphasis on use of Internet
by indigenous peoples. For back issues select Publications, CS Quarterly, Back Issues
- Council on Spiritual Practices
Outstanding resources on spiritual practices and related issues.
- Indigenous peoples of Mexico, Central and South America!
Available in Spanish.
- American Studies Web on Race and Ethnicity
Comprehensive resources on many races.
Global Organizations and Programs for Indigenous Connectivity
- Center for World Indigenous Studies
The Underlying Principle Guiding CWIS is: Access to knowledge
and peoples' ideas reduces the possibility of conflict and increases
the possibility of cooperation between peoples on the basis of
mutual consent. By democratizing relations between peoples,
between nations and states, the diversity of nations and their
cultures will continue to enrich the world. Sponsor for the Fourth
World Documentation project.
- Fourth World Documentation Project
A major global project providing Indigenous peoples' Information
for the Online Community.
- 4Directions Project; An Indigenous Model of Education
The 4Directions Project "Internet Strategies for Empowering
Indigenous Communities in Teaching and Learning" is funded by
the Technology Literacy Challenge grant program from the U.S.
Dept. of Education. Twenty-four Native American schools from
eight states participating.
- USAID Learnlink Project
Thirty-three countries involved in educational and community
networking, including indigenous peoples in South America and
elsewhere. The Academy for Educational Development is the prime
contractor. Select links to USAID LearnLink Projects and Teachers' Resources.
- Institute for Global Communications
Connecting People Who Are Changing the World. Host for many
global projects such as PeaceNet, Womensnet, Anti-RacismNet and
- World Bank's Global Development Learning Network
The GDLN is a telecommunications network that connects distance
learning centers (DLC) in cities across the globe. * It harnesses the
latest learning tools -- interactive video, electronic classrooms,
satellite communications and the Internet - to help break down the
- Global Community Center
Welcome to our "global community center on the Internet", a
project of the non-profit Global Development Center. We operate
with a philosophy, "Service is the rent we pay for being. It is the
very purpose of life, and not something you do in your spare time."
Global Development Resource Organizations
World links for development, opening a world of learning.
World Links for Development Program (WorLD)Internet Training Materials
- Global Knowledge Partnership
Partners in knowledge for development, improving lives, reducing
poverty, empowering people.
- United Nations Development Program
Diverse resources for sustainable human development.
Their mission is to help ensure that all schools have effective
access to the communication and information resources of the
Internet. The organization donates Internet equipment to schools
and facilitates teacher training and support. Since its founding in
1996, Schools Online has been a catalyst, helping more than 5,400
schools gain online access.
- International Institute for Communications and Development
The International Institute for Communication and Development
(IICD) assists developing countries to utilize the opportunities
offered by information and communication technologies (ICTs) to
realize sustainable development.