Lone Eagle Consulting Resources for CTC VISTAS
CTC VISTA Community Networking and Wireless Blog
Community Wireless and Satellite Internet Resources
Lone Eagle’s Best Community Networking Resources and Articles
The Best Lone Eagle Resource Listings http://lone-eagles.com/future-proofing.htm
Includes curriculum from the "Montana Choice" ecommerce and telework demonstration project for the U.S. Department of Labor - a project of the Montana Job Training Partnership http://www.mjtp.org
Lone Eagle’s Internet Training Guides (Also available as formatted WORD files for printing)
1. Two online graduate courses for educators on Internet for education are at http://lone-eagles.com/teachercreated.htm There are two versions of a K12 web resources handbook in print and online which I've created for these courses. The first is "Common Ground - A Cross-cultural Self-Directed Internet Guide" at http://lone-eagles.com/guide.htm and the second version is "Echoes in the Electronic Wind - A Native American Cross-cultural Internet Guide".... a Native American version with an additional 22 pages of web-based Native innovation examples at http://lone-eagles.com/nativeguide.htm
2. Rural Ecommerce and Telework Strategies - http://lone-eagles.com/eguide.htm
A 200 page rural leadership manual complete with online lessons for basic Internet skills and ten lessons on what's working for others like you regarding rural ecommerce and telework. This manual is 3 years old and includes extensive resources related to online learning, community networking, grant-writing, community grant templates and more. We've since shortened the ten lessons and retitled the course "A Beginner's Guide to Profiting from the Internet" and separated these overview lessons from the hands-on skills lessons. The "Beginner's Guide" is at http://lone-eagles.com/ecom.htm and the "Essential Ecommerce Internet Skills" lessons are at http://lone-eagles.com/essential-skills.htm
3. Five years ago the "Good Neighbor's Guide to Community Networking" http://lone-eagles.com/cnguide.htm was written for a 1.5 billion Texas Community networking project. The first two short chapters in this guide are good at setting the context in story form. The rest needs updating but is still valid. An International Community Networking Clearinghouse was updated in 2004 at
Grantwriting Tips and Funding Sources
http://lone-eagles.com/asdnl8.htm A lesson on grantwriting from the Lone Eagle graduate course for educators.
Online Mentoring Models
http://lone-eagles.com/mentoring-mission.htm Contains links to extensive resources.
Lone Eagle Self-Employment Incubator
A postnuke content management system; installation $300, $25/month.
Details on KNET hosting services and innovations at http://lone-eagles.com/indigenous_resources.htm
K-Net Case Studies and Project (Flash) Overview http://smart.knet.ca/kuhkenah_flash.html
New Aboriginal Youth Content Management System with web-authoring and collaboration tools
www.deadlyzone.org from the www.deadlymob.org CTC Other collected Australian links at http://lone-eagles.com/aussielinks.htm
Donnie Morrison's Scottish Telework Project
Strengthening America's Communities Initiative
http://www.commerce.gov/SACI/index.htm Seeking how to help communities innovate.
Free Ecommerce web sites www.tripod.com Select Site Builder and the free web site options.
Ron Doore selling alfalfa as bunny food via a site built at tripod.com
Includes information on his affiliate programs and drop ship partners.
Lone Eagle lesson on Ebay and Ebay Drop Off Centers http://lone-eagles.com/auctions.htm
Lone Eagle Paper Advising Industry Canada on National Strategy for Sustainable CAP(CTC's) Sites
NEW Dec. 2006 VISTA Newsletter
The CTC VISTA Project (http://www.ctcvista.org) invites you to check out our newest edition of the Project newsletter, the Digest ( http://www.ctcvista.org/digest/fall06/). The Digest's goal is to highlight the work of the CTC VISTAs, as well as the accomplishments of our participating organizations, and to explore new trends in the use of new digital media and technology in community-based non-profit endeavors.
This fall edition include updates from the Project HQ, experts from the CTC VISTA blogs past & present, and feature articles including:
- One Alumna's Advice for CTC VISTAs, by (former CTC VISTA) Molly Szymanski - "Working on a project that requires knowledge of local resources can be difficult especially if you haven't been in the city long enough to be familiar with community networks."
- Rethinking "Internet for Everyone" & Social Networking , by (current VISTA) Brittney Fosbrook - "Why would case managers use this technology tool, they questioned, if they could barely navigate the internet? It is true, many of the people in the office have not been provided with the intensive technology training that I have taken for granted."
- The Nature of Participatory Culture & Technology , by Nettrice Gaskins - "Participatory culture shifts the focus of digital media creation from one of individual expression to community involvement and civic participation."
- Citizen Speak: A Low-Cost Organizing Online Tool, by Jo Lee - "All I had to talk about was how a small group of activists used a free email advocacy service called CitizenSpeak to battle a multinational railroad company."
- Community Networking Hits Media Mainstream (Almost)!, by Frank Odasz - "Perhaps future programs will focus on the lessons learned from thousands of community technology centers and community networks struggling to educate citizens, generate local content, and provide fiber and wireless broadband access."
The CTC VISTA Project is now accepting applications for our January round of placements. To begin the application process, simply submit an intent to apply ( http://www.ctcvista.org/application) - see the Project guidelines ( http://www.ctcvista.org/guidelines) for additional information.